MCS Alumni Profile: Andrew Tilman (’11) Posted on January 31st, 2018 by

Tell us about yourself.

I graduated from Gustavus in 2011 with a degree in Mathematics. I am currently working at the University of Pennsylvania as a Postdoc in mathematical biology.

How did the MCS department help you get where you are today?

My degree in math has really shaped how I view the world and tackle the research questions that excite me. I completed my PhD in theoretical ecology at Princeton, focused on analyzing feedbacks between ecological resource use and economic incentives for resource users. My work involved analysis of dynamical systems and game theory. The math and computer science skills that I gained at Gustavus prepared me for this work and completing an honors thesis with Professor LoFaro helped me see what conducting research entails.

What is your favorite memory or memories of the MCS department?

My first semester at Gustavus, I took Intro to Analysis with TJ Morrison, and the subject matter of that class was so different from anything I had previously learned that I was simultaneously lost, but also in awe of how much more math could be than the sets of rules I was taught in high school. It got me excited about math in a whole new way.

Thanks for the update Andrew.

If you would like to let the MCS department know what you are up to you can do so by clicking here. We would love to hear from you.