MCS Alumni Profile: Meghan Peterson Posted on March 22nd, 2016 by

MeghanPetersonTell us about yourself.  

I  graduated from Gustavus in 2013 with degrees in Mathematics and Secondary Education.  I am currently  in my third year of teaching at Mayo High School in Rochester, Minnesota. In my three years here, I’ve taught geometry, intro and AP statistics, intro and AP computer science, and math for English language learners. Teaching is just as fun (and tiring!) as I thought it would be. The accomplishment I’m most proud of is the growing CS department here. There were no computer science classes offered when I was hired. Now there are three sections of CS and a computer club. I’m currently working on my masters of educational technology through Minnesota State, Mankato. I’ll be doing my thesis in the fall on the impact of program visualization activities.  

How did the MCS department help you get where you are today?

The MCS department taught me how to learn. The content we covered in every course was interesting, but the skills I developed have been much more valuable. I learned how to ask good questions, make connections, work with others, explain my thoughts, and find evidence to back up my reasoning.

What is your favorite memory or memories of the MCS department?

Intro CS with Choong-Soo Lee and Russ Park was one of my favorite classes. I often find myself drawing on those first experiences with programming as I plan my lessons. (Thanks for answering all of my Java related questions, Choong-Soo!) Another favorite memory is realizing that I liked geometry in Mike Hvidsten’s class. I used his textbook every now and then when I taught geometry my first year.

Thanks for the update Meghan.  It’s good to hear from you.

If you would like to let the MCS department know what you are up to you can do so by clicking here.