MCS Department Seminar 4/21 – Danté Tawfeeq Posted on April 19th, 2021 by

This Wednesday, April 21st, at 2:30pm, we are excited to welcome Danté A. Tawfeeq from John Jay College of Criminal Justice to give a virtual seminar talk titled “The Footprint of Innumeracy and Mathematics Illiteracy in Public School Education” (abstract included below). For the Zoom link, email Melissa Lynn at mklynn@gustavus.edu.

The Footprint of Innumeracy and Mathematics Illiteracy in Public School Education

I will do a survey of some of the issues that are impacting the learning of mathematics students in public school and what we can do to address them. I will also speak about the long term fallout of these issues. I will limit much of my discussion to one of the largest school systems in the nation, NYC Public Schools. I will cast my net wider to a national scope as the discussion might require me to do so. A great deal of this discussion emerges from my experiences offering professional development to middle and high school teachers of mathematics in the northeast and southeast regions of the country over my career.